About CETYS / Who we are
Our purpose is to contribute to the development of individuals with the moral and intellectual capacity to participate in a relevant manner in the social, cultural and economic improvement of the country and the world.
-February 17 marks the official date when as a Civil Association our board was constituted as Institute of Education of the Northwest or IENAC (Spanish). Presided by Mr. Ignacio A. Guajardo Esquer, IENAC names the first President of CETYS University: ENG. Fernando Macías Rendón.
-CETYS opens its doors on a rented building in Mexicali’s downtown area with the High School program. First student, ID. 0001 is enrolled: Mr. Eugenio Lagarde Camerún. First day of class was September 20th.
-First formal Strategic Development Plan for CETYS is drafted and implemented.
-CETYS Tijuana Campus and CETYS Ensenada Campus inaugurate with High School.
-January 13, 1978 ENG. Jesús Alfonso Marín Jiménez is named as 3rd President of CETYS University.
-Third Strategic Development Plan is drafted.
-Campus Ensenada builds its first classroom building facility and programming lab.
-Academic plans and programs are modified, for undergraduate and high school in all three campuses.
-CETYS Universidad is granted on November 21st by Mr. Miguel González Avelar, Secretary of Public Education in Mexico, the distinction as an “institution of high academic quality”
-CETYS University establishes institutional agreements for partnerships with Hewlett Packard, National Cash Register, Arizona State University and Kenworth that produce several programs of mutual collaboration where faculty, students are involved in research projects linked to the social and industry environment.
-The Federation of Private Mexican Institutions of Higher Education visits and evaluates CETYS, granting FIMPES accreditation without any condition or observation.
-ENG. Mr. Enrique Carlos Blancas de la Cruz is named as the fifth President of CETYS University; the Strategic Plan CETYS 2010 is drafted and implemented, a 10-year vision that shapes the strategic guidelines for the institution.
-CETYS moved forward in the preliminary design of a Strategic Plan, that would end up being our current CETYS 2020, promoting during 2009 the participation and engagement of members of the board, directors, faculty, students and their parents during the first steps of the planning process.
-The first steps were taken towards the accreditation of our Business School academic programs, with the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) and the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) for the academic programs of our School of Engineering.
-Furthermore, CETYS became member of Institute of International Education (IIE), maximum organism worldwide, based in New York, advocating for International Education and Global Learning.
-CETYS also became part of United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI).
CETYS celebrates its first 50 years and begins its Distinguished Visitors and Lecturers program with the participation of Dr. Pedro Ortega Ruíz, professor of Universidad de Murcia.
-2012 marks one of the most relevant years for CETYS University. After several years of constant transformation, effort and dedication. Based on its high quality standards, CETYS is granted international accreditation by the U.S. based agency, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
This achievement is of historical significance and relevance to the institution, to Baja California and to Mexico. CETYS becomes the 7th institution in Latin America to have U.S. accreditation.
-CETYS Universidad is named the best institution of Higher Education in Baja California, according to an independent study by Reader’s Digest Mexico. The study named “University Ranking 2013” and published on April 1st, 2013 considered three dimensions: Facilities and Infrastructure, Prestige/Image and Professional Evaluation.
-CETYS School of Business became the first institution in the Northwest of Mexico to receive international accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), the award granted during ACBSP Annual Conference in Chicago, IL before representatives of universities in Asia, Europe, U.S., Latin America and Africa. In Mexico, the official announcement was made during the 53rd anniversary of CETYS Universidad.
The Center for Excellence in Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship, established in Campus Mexicali, and houses our School of Business; and the official presentation of the blueprint for the Center for Innovation in Design. In addition, Campus Tijuana also remodeled their stadium “Margarita Astiazarán de Fimbres”.
– More than 7,500 students and 35k Alumni.
-The Master’s in Engineering and Innovation was integrated into the National Register of Quality Graduate Programs of CONACYT.
-The highest percentage in the history of teachers with doctorates is reached: 58%.
– Six new programs were incorporated to the educational offer and all Graduate Programs were updated.
– Continued work towards the possibility of joining the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
– Agreements were signed with universities in Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador, USA, Portugal, Taiwan and Morocco.
-Distinguished Visitors: Dr. Wolfgang Ketterle, Nobel Prize in Physics, José Ángel Gurría, Secretary of the OECD, Andrés Oppenheimer, award-winning author and journalist, among others.
– Continued construction of the Center for Innovation and Design (CEID) in Mexicali and the Gymnasium-Auditorium in Ensenada.
-The International Seminar on Innovation in Higher Education was held, which concentrated educational leaders from 14 countries.
– WASC reaccreditation through 2027 is obtained. Ten years is the longest accreditation period granted by WASC
– The Master of Business Administration (MBA) is recognized by QS Stars as one of the top 15 MBAs in Latin America
– The Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Engineering and Innovation (MII) continue being part of CONACYT’s National Registry for Quality Graduate Programs
– CETYS makes a strategic alliance with St. Cloud State University (SCSU) in the US to develop a graduate program that will focus on boosting the medical device industry in the region
– CETYS finishes at 14th place out of 176 in the medal count for Universiada Nacional
– FoxRobotics wins bronze in the international robotics competition “Robot Challenge2017” in China
– The Gymnasium-Auditorium of the Ensenada Campus is inaugurated, and construction of the Center for Innovation and Design of the Mexicali Campus continues
– Three programs are added to the educational offer of CETYS: Industrial Engineering Global Program, Bachelor of International Logistics, and MBA Triple Degree
– QS Stars recognizes CETYS as one of the best institutions in Latin America for its academic excellence and outstanding work in the areas of inclusion, innovation and teaching quality
– Accreditation processes continue with the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Two programs have been accredited in the Mexicali Campus. The Tijuana Campus is expecting a decision on one program
– CETYS is appointed Full Member of the Latin American Council of Management Schools (CLADEA for its Spanish acronym)
-73% of the faculty have Doctoral degrees (full-time and part-time)
1961 – 1966
1978 – 1996
1996 – 2000
2010 -at present